Saturday, May 16, 2015

#12 In A Pit? Time To Get Out

Imagine that you are walking along an isolated area of the woods, all by yourself, taking a short-cut to your camp when you fall into a pit.  It’s dirty and smelly. You try climbing out but you keep slipping back down. You can’t seem to get a good grip or footing. It’s getting dark soon and you’re afraid that bugs or wild animals might get a hold of you.  Thoughts go through your mind.  Why did I go this way?  Why wasn’t I more careful? Will anyone find me? How do I get out of here? I have fallen into a pit and I am stuck.

Today at our Women’s Ministry Event, I was one of three speakers and God led me to Beth Moore’s book Get Out Of That Pit, Straight Talk About God’s Deliverance. For weeks, I have been preparing and I had changed the focus three times.  But this third time, God led me to this book I bought over two years ago thinking that one day it might come in handy.

I shared about the three types of pits that people can fall into:
1. When you’re thrown into a pit
2. When you slip into a pit
3. When you jump into a pit

In the first point, thrown into a pit, this is when things happen to you beyond your control and you cannot regain any sense of control.

I was thrown into a pit at the hands of my first husband, who was abusive, physically, emotionally, and sexually. I lived years in fear of his anger. I was afraid to tell anyone about the pit I was living in.  I lived in hopelessness, except with a glimmer of hope that I would see whenever I prayed.  There was something inside of me that hoped for rescue.  Six years later, it came.  God gave me the clarity of mind to get out with my three little children and save myself and them. God made a way when I saw no way.

In Genesis 37:23-25, Joseph, son of Jacob, was thrown into a pit by his jealous brothers and then they sat down to eat.  How the enemy uses people to sit nearby and torment us by acting like nothing ever happened or making us feel like it’s our fault.  I think that Joseph realized his brothers hated him that much, that they would throw him in a pit to die. But they did pull him out and sold him into slavery, another kind of pit. Young, 17 year old Joseph could not control the hatred his brothers felt for him. But God had wonderful plans for Joseph's life beyond what he could see at the moment.


Another pit I was thrown into was in 2008 when my wonderful, Godly husband was diagnosed with early onset dementia. That same year I was diagnosed with a rare colon cancer.  Four years later, Edry died.  Five weeks after his death, my mother died from ovarian cancer. I was in a pit of despair, broken dreams, fear of tomorrow; unable to control my life; not sure if God was going to continue to allow me to suffer for a long time, like Job.
  
I could not control the chaos and losses that were going on in my life. I moved from health to cancer and chronic physical problems; from married to widow; from teaching to unemployment; from having a house to living with my daughter; from having lots of space to having to drastically downsize into a small space and get rid of parts of my life.

 I have slipped and jumped into pits of my own doing as well, either out of ignorance, having others take advantage of me, or downright rebellion.  But God has rescued me for the plan He has had for me all along.  His plans cannot be ruined, undone, sidetracked, or detoured.  I am where He wants me today. 

When I was in pain from the chemo treatments I would read these verses and it gave me comfort.  Psalm 40:1-5
1.      I wait patiently for the Lord; he turned to me and heard my cry.
2.      He lifted me out of the slimy pit; out of the mud and mire; he set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand


3.      He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God.  Many will see and fear and put their trust in the Lord.
4.      Blessed is the man who makes the Lord his trust, who does not look to the proud, to those who turn aside to false gods.
5.      Many, O Lord my God, are the wonders you have done.  The things you planned for us no one else can recount to you; were I to speak and tell of them, they would be too many to declare.

Though, many times I did not wait patiently like I should have, but God heard my cry anyway.  That’s His choice. He did lift me out of the pit of pitiful despair and brokenness. My feet are not sinking deep into nothingness but are standing firm where I can see God’s hand at work. I don’t sing the “poor me, poor me” song, but the song of “God is great. His faithfulness endures forever.”  As I look back at my life, I see the wonders of God. There are so many that I can’t count them or remember them all.

If you find yourself in a pit of some kind today, whether you got thrown into it by someone or trials of life, whether you slid in there yourself by ignoring danger signals, or whether you jumped in due to blatant disobedience, don’t give up on the Lord. Wait patiently. Continue to cry out to God.  He is listening. He will lift you up.  Confess your sin.  Ask for forgiveness. Consent to God’s will, which is to live in freedom from bondage. You have to want it bad enough.  Say yes to Jesus.  He will move you from sinking sand, from the sinking pit to the solid rock, which is Jesus Christ.

God loves us. He is good. He is faithful. His mercy is forever. He calls us to be like Him.





No comments:

Post a Comment